Thursday, November 13, 2014

Egg Shelling Out The Love

Egg shells may just be the key to getting amazing veggies every year. I swear, it's a secret I keep in my back pocket all year around, because it literally takes me the off growing season (or dead season as I like to call it...), to collect enough egg shells for one garden (our garden is a little less than 1/4 acre).

This process works for ANY garden though, so if you're an apartment dwelling balcony tomatoe grower, or plant any type of veggies (or as I recently found out...Fruit!) inside in planters, this is a great tip for you too!

I'll start with why this is so great for gardens. Egg shells pack a powerful punch of Calcium, which as we all know helps us strengthen bones. Aside from the obvious health benefits (later on that.), Calcium in the garden can help moderate the acidity of the soil (you can even add it in your fertilizer if it's homemade!). The Calcium in the eggshells is going to help with things like blossom end rot on tomatoe plants, or tip burn in cabbage.

Bascially all you do is rinse the egg shells, dry them out, and crush them up into a fine powder or meal.

If you're feeling especially lazy that week, you can always make an egg shell water for your plants, simply get a bucket of water, some rinced eggshells, throw them in and let them steep for a good few days (I like to wait at least 4 so I know I'm getting as much of the nutrient out as possible.), then you can just pour onto your plants. You'll notice them perk up after getting a big drink of eggshell water.



BONUS Health Benefits:

Sterilize your eggshells in a 200 degree oven for half an hour, crush them up into a fine powder and add a teaspoon into a glass of water and drink it! The Calcium in the shells help with things like cartilage and bone, a great benefit for people with osteoporosis or arthritus! The same process can also be applied to dogs!


Store everything in airtight containers or a large ziplock bag. They should preserve forever, but I doubt they'll last that long! 

No comments:

Post a Comment