Monday, January 19, 2015

The Potato Doughnuts


Some of the finished product
  My grandmother and our family have been using this potato doughnut reciepe from her 3rd Edition Barbour Cookbook for YEARS. Probably as long as I can remember. They stay super moist because of the potatoes, and the deep fat frying gives the outside this chewy almost crust. We haven't made them in a good 5 or 6 years, but as soon as I made them yesterday I basically flashed back from when my siblings and I would help my grandmother make them in a neat little assembly line. She used to double the recipe, I used a single recipe yesterday and yielded a good batch for a family with two young kids.


  If your kids are like mine, they LOVE Tim Bits, keep the doughnut holes that you cut out to make your own homestyle Tim Bits and let the kiddos put sprinkles and whatnot on top!

Here's the no fail recipe for potato doughnuts.


4 medium sized potatoes (I used 3 large) 
Butter the size of a small egg (I used a HEAPING a tablespoon)
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup of milk 
4 rounded tsps baking powder
This is only half of what we made yesterday

 Enough flour to make a non sticky dough. The recipe didn't have an exact flour amount.

Pinch of Nutmeg, Pinch of salt.

Boil potatoes, and mash until there's no lumps. Add (in this order): butter, sugar, milk, eggs, stir until creamy. Add nutmeg, salt, baking powder and stir again until it's all combined. Gradually add flour until you form a dough that sticks together. Transfer onto table dusted with flour, and knead more flour in until you get a non-sticky dough ball. Roll out and cut out using a doughnut cutter (I used a dessert bowl and a shot glass!).


 
Pan fry, or use deep fat fryer to cook until a little darker than golden brown, but not TOO much darker. Decorate however you want!

I attempted to make a cream cheese frosting for a cake last week, but ran out of icing sugar (my grandmother actually ran out of icing sugar.....since we were at her house when I was making the cake!), so I put it all in a margerine container and saved it, we ended up using this as a glaze for our doughnuts and they turned out SOOOOO GOOOOODDDDDD. 

They're golden brown in that T-Fal deep fat fryer (bought at Canadian Tire)

No comments:

Post a Comment