Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Day 6 of 30!!

I honestly can't believe it's day 6 already!!!

My grandmother taught me how to knit, crochet, sew, cook, etc. from a very young age. She learned how to do those things young, so she taught me over the course of winters and rainy days. She always believed that just because you have little or no money, you shouldn't have to go without. If you learn to knit or crochet, your kids can lose all the mittens they want and you have the ability to whip them up a pair the night before. If you learn to cook with cookbooks made from the 30's era recession, your meal cost will be lower. If you stock up on groceries (buy more than you have to for the MONTH.), if you run into a financial problem say....around Christmas....you won't be going without food.

The same woman taught me how to properly store and freeze breastmilk, how to make a proper pie crust, and helped me raise my child for the first 2 years of his life. I'm very thankful for my grandmother.

My dad moved us a couple provinces away when I was going into grade 3, and over the course of 10 years, I somehow managed to lose all of the skills that my grandmother had taught me...and by the time I got back, being a preteen, I wasn't too interested in learning this "crap that I'll never use." When I got pregnant with my first child 5 year's later (18 ya'll.), it was pretty aparent that I had to learn those skills again. So I learned to knit (not crochet), re-learned to sew, and figured out how I standed in the kitchen (pretty good...no complaints from my kiddos.).


When it came time for me to figure out how to crochet a couple years ago, I was TOOOOOTALLLY lost. So I went out and did what anyone else in my situation would do....I bought a book! Not just any book though....I bought the Complete Idiots Guide to Knitting and Crocheting!! I love this book!!! Everything is SUPER easy to understand, there are tons of diagrams, great for beginners and I learned tons about how to make my knitting better (like the proper use of cables.).

There are people out there that will tell you that knitting and crocheting is an expensive hobby, because (if you're selling it...), you factor in the cost of yarn and the amount of time you spent on say....an afghan, you'll be losing money because you'll be selling it for a lower price. They're right, if you buy the super expensive yarn from Michaels, not on sale with no coupons, your project can get pretty expensive. But it's all about when and where to shop. If you go to Michaels, they'll often have sale coupons in their flyer's that can give you anywhere from 40-50% off, they always have the coupon that let's you save on X item that's not on sale, etc. So if you shop smart, you'll have no problem!

Today's Fun Freebie is a 3 BOOK DEALLLL!!! 3 FREE knitting books! One for stitches (learning), one for learning how to make socks, and one for learning how to make scarves!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment